Patient's Bill of Rights
The Affordable Care Act puts consumers back in charge of their health care. Under the law, a new “Patient’s Bill of Rights” gives the American people the stability and flexibility they need to make informed choices about their health.
The Patient's Bill of Rights:
- Provides Coverage to Americans with Pre-existing Conditions: You may be eligible for health coverage under the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan.
- Protects Your Choice of Doctors: Choose the primary care doctor you want from your plan’s network.
- Keeps Young Adults Covered: If you are under 26, you may be eligible to be covered under your parent’s health plan.
- Ends Lifetime Limits on Coverage: Lifetime limits on most benefits are banned for all new health insurance plans.
- Ends Pre-Existing Condition Exclusions for Children: Health plans can no longer limit or deny benefits to children under 19 due to a pre-existing condition.
- Ends Arbitrary Withdrawals of Insurance Coverage: Insurers can no longer cancel your coverage just because you made an honest mistake.
- Reviews Premium Increases: Insurance companies must now publicly justify any unreasonable rate hikes.
- Helps You Get the Most from Your Premium Dollars: Your premium dollars must be spent primarily on health care – not administrative costs.
- Restricts Annual Dollar Limits on Coverage: Annual limits on your health benefits will be phased out by 2014.
- Removes Insurance Company Barriers to Emergency Services: You can seek emergency care at a hospital outside of your health plan’s network.
Since the Patient’s Bill of Rights was enacted, the Affordable Care Act has provided additional rights and protections.
The health care law:
- Covers Preventive Care at No Cost to You: You may be eligible for recommended preventive health services. No copayment.
- Guarantees Your Right to Appeal: You now have the right to ask that your plan reconsider its denial of payment.
For More Information
- Read a report on the Patient’s Bill of Rights.
- Find detailed technical and regulatory information on the Patient’s Bill of Rights.
- HealthCare Blog: Protecting Patients with Private Insurance.
- Fact Sheet: The Affordable Care Act's New Patient's Bill of Rights.
Posted on: July 1, 2010
Last updated: February 6, 2012