Seniors and the Affordable Care Act
The Affordable Care Act strengthens Medicare and helps seniors take charge of their health. The law provides important benefits such as free preventive services, free annual wellness visits, and a 50% discount on prescription drugs for Medicare recipients in the coverage gap known as the "donut hole." You can also work with your doctor to create a personalized prevention plan.
Top Things to Know for Seniors
- Under the health care law, your existing guaranteed Medicare-covered benefits won’t be reduced or taken away. Neither will your ability to choose your own doctor.
- Millions of people with Medicare received cost relief during the law's first year. If you had Medicare prescription drug coverage and had to pay for your drugs in the coverage gap known as the "donut hole," you received a one-time, tax free $250 rebate from Medicare to help pay for your prescriptions.
- If you have high prescription drug costs that put you in the donut hole, you now get a 50% discount on covered brand-name drugs while you’re in the donut hole. Between today and 2020, you’ll get continuous Medicare coverage for your prescription drugs. The donut hole will be closed completely by 2020.
- Medicare covers certain preventive services without charging you the Part B coinsurance or deductible. You will also be offered a free annual wellness exam.
- The life of the Medicare Trust Fund will be extended as a result of reducing waste, fraud and abuse, and slowing cost growth in Medicare, which will provide you with future cost savings on your premiums and coinsurance.
7 Resources for Seniors
For More Information
- Download and print this fact sheet: Top 5 Things to Know for Seniors (PDF- 11 MB).
- Find out how the how the health care law benefits you.
- Share educational materials with others.
- See real stories from people like you about the benefits of the law.
- Get email updates on the Health Insurance Marketplace and more.
Use these resources to find coverage and get the most out of your insurance:
- Learn more about using Medicare and your options for Long-Term Care.
- See if you are eligible and learn more about Medicaid options for seniors.
- Use the Compare Care Providers page to find the best doctor, hospital, nursing home or other health care provider where you live.
- If you don’t have Medicare, find coverage and pricing options.
- Learn more about Medicare Preventive Services at Medicare.gov.
- Medicare Drug Discounts: See how the donut hole will close between now and 2020.
- Understand your health plan and learn how to make it work for you.