Checklist for Individuals & Families
Whether you’re uninsured, or just want to explore new options, the Health Insurance Marketplace will give you and your family more choice and selection in health plans.
7 things you can do to get ready now
- Learn about different types of health insurance. Through the Marketplace, you’ll be able to choose a health plan that gives you the right balance of costs and coverage.
- Make a list of questions you have before it’s time to choose your health plan. For example, “Can I stay with my current doctor?” or “Will this plan cover my health costs when I’m traveling?”
- Make sure you understand how insurance works, including deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums, copayments, etc. You’ll want to consider these details while you’re shopping around. Visit Insurance Basics to learn more about how insurance works.
- Start gathering basic information about your household income. Most people will qualify to get a break on costs, and you’ll need income information to find out how much you’re eligible for.
- Set your budget. There will be different types of health plans to meet a variety of needs and budgets, and breaking them down by cost can help narrow your choices.
- Find out from your employer whether they plan to offer health insurance, especially if you work for a small business.
- Explore current options. You may be able to get help with insurance now, through existing programs or changes that are in effect already from the new health care law. Use our resources to get information about health insurance for adults up to age 26, children in families with limited incomes (CHIP), and Medicare for people who are over 65 or have disabilities.