10 health care benefits covered in the Health Insurance Marketplace®
Published on August 22, 2013
Warning: This blog post is out-of-date.Get the latest information
Every health insurance plan sold in the Marketplace will offer 10 essential health benefits.
What’s covered in the Health Insurance Marketplace®
These essential health benefits include at least the following items and services:
- Outpatient care—the kind you get without being admitted to a hospital
- Trips to the emergency room
- Treatment in the hospital for inpatient care
- Care before and after your baby is born
- Mental health and substance use disorder services: This includes behavioral health treatment, counseling, and psychotherapy
- Your prescription drugs
- Services and devices to help you recover if you are injured, or have a disability or chronic condition. This includes physical and occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, psychiatric rehabilitation, and more.
- Your lab tests
- Preventive services including counseling, screenings, and vaccines to keep you healthy and care for managing a chronic disease.
- Pediatric services: This includes dental care and vision care for kids
Specific health care benefits may vary by state. Even within the same state, there can be small differences between health insurance plans. When you fill out your application and compare plans, you’ll see the specific health care benefits each plan offers.
Get ready to enroll in the Health Insurance Marketplace®
When open enrollment starts on October 1, 2013, you’ll be able to apply, compare plans, and enroll in the Marketplace. Coverage starts as soon as January 1, 2014.
Don’t wait, create your Marketplace account today!