Health Insurance Blog
10 ways to get ready for the Health Insurance Marketplace
September 21, 2013
Open enrollment in the Health Insurance Marketplace is coming soon. Here’s how you can get ready to enroll starting October 1, 2013.
- Find the Marketplace in your state and get your options & info.
- Sign up for email or text updates about the Marketplace and connect with us on social media.
- Gather basic information about your household income to see if you qualify for lower costs on Marketplace coverage. Use this checklist to get started.
- Set your budget and estimate your costs and savings in the Marketplace.
- Make sure you understand how coverage works, including things like premiums, deductibles, out-of-pocket maximums, copayments, and coinsurance.
- Learn about the different types of health coverage.
- Explore your current options. You may be able to get coverage that starts before January 1, 2014 through existing programs.
- Ask your employer if it plans to offer health insurance in 2014. If you don’t have coverage, you may have to pay a fine.
- Learn how to get help with your Marketplace application. Visit LocalHelp.HealthCare.gov to find help in your area.
- Get help with a Marketplace question. You can call 1-800-318-2596, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. TTY users should call 1-855-889-4325. Online chat is also available 24/7.