July 25, 2013
7 ways to save in the Health Insurance Marketplace®
There are several ways you can save money in the Health Insurance Marketplace®. How you save, and how much you save, depends on several things, including family size and income.
- You may be able to get lower costs on your monthly premiums when you enroll in a Marketplace health insurance plan.
- You may qualify for lower out-of-pocket costs for copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles.
- You or your child may get free or low-cost coverage through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
- You can’t be charged more for a pre-existing condition or because you are a woman.
- You may be able to be covered on your parent’s insurance plan if you’re under 26.
- You may be able to buy a lower-premium “catastrophic” coverage plan, if you’re under 30.
- Small businesses may qualify for the expanded small business health care tax credit.
How will I know what I qualify for?
When you fill out your Health Insurance Marketplace® application, you’ll find out how much you can save and what coverage you’ll qualify for.
Here are some important things to know about getting lower costs on coverage:
- Most people who apply will qualify for some kind of savings.
- Open enrollment starts October 1, 2013 and coverage starts as soon as January 1, 2014.
- Marketplace plans and prices will be available on October 1.
In the meantime, answer a few quick questions and we’ll provide you with a personalized list of programs you may be eligible for, content you’ll want to read, and a checklist to help you get ready.
Questions? Call 1-800-318-2596, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. (TTY: 1-855-889-4325)