Alejandra’s story: College students need coverage too!
Published on September 18, 2013
Have you met Alejandra?
Alejandra is an ambitious student with big dreams. She is looking forward to college and has plans to become a health professional – just like her big sister Mayra. And like millions of young adults across the country, Alejandra does not have health insurance.
Making ends meet. Trying to make something of herself.
Alejandra’s sister Mayra explained:
"Alejandra paid $300 out of her own pocket for a checkup and some shots that she needed for school.
If you’re a young person like Alejandra, you might not be thinking a lot about health insurance—until the day you need it.
You might have other priorities. But what if you get into an accident, are diagnosed with a serious illness, or have medical requirements for school or work?"
How the Marketplace helps people like Alejandra
- In the Marketplace, 22 preventive services are available to keep Alejandra healthy at no additional cost. That $300 bill she paid for her checkup could’ve been free.
- If she needs help paying for coverage, she may qualify for lower costs in the Marketplace. Or she can purchase a “catastrophic” health plan available to people under 30 when Open Enrollment begins in October.
- Specific plans and prices will be available on October 1. In the meantime, Alejandra can use this quick calculator to estimate her costs and savings.
- If she has questions about her application for coverage in the Marketplace, she’ll be able to get real-time help in English or Spanish over the phone, in person, or via live web chat.
Share your story
Alejandra is looking forward to finding affordable coverage in the Health Insurance Marketplace® on October 1. Her big sister is looking forward to it too.
What about you? Are you looking forward to getting covered?
- Find out how health care is changing - in 214 words and share your thoughts in a Tweet.
- Leave us a comment on Facebook.