Do you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period?
Published on February 21, 2019
You can now enroll in or change a Health Insurance Marketplace® plan only if you have a life event — meaning a change in your situation, like getting married, having a baby, or losing health coverage — that qualifies you for a
Life changes that may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period
- There are 4 basic types of qualifying life events: loss of health coverage, household changes, residence changes, and other qualifying events, like income changes that may affect your coverage options.
- See the full list of all qualifying life events.
How to apply with a Special Enrollment Period
- If you know your life event qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period, start an application by creating an account or logging in to an existing one.
- When you apply, you may be asked to provide documents to confirm the events that make you eligible.
- If you’re not sure your life event counts, answer a few quick questions here.