January 03, 2019
See if you may still qualify for 2019 insurance
For most people, the deadline to enroll in 2019 health insurance has passed. But there are two ways you may still be able to get 2019 coverage:
Through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Medicaid and CHIP provide free or low-cost health coverage to millions of Americans, including some low-income people, families and children, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with disabilities.
- If eligible, your coverage can start right away, any time of year. Medicaid and CHIP don’t have Open Enrollment Periods.
- Learn more about Medicaid and CHIP, including how to apply.
Through a Special Enrollment Period
- Outside Open Enrollment, you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period if you have certain life events, like losing health coverage, moving, getting married, having a baby, or adopting a child.
- If you qualify, you usually have up to 60 days following the event to enroll in or change a plan.
- Not sure your life event makes you eligible? Just answer a few fast questions to find out.