April 05, 2018
5 tips to prepare for doctor’s visits
Visiting the doctor soon? Here are 5 things you can do to get ready.
Get ready for your doctor’s visit
- Bring your insurance card with you. After you enrolled in a plan, you should have gotten a card or other proof of your insurance in the mail. (If you didn’t get a card, contact your health plan.)
- Know your family health history. Share with your doctor any family health history and medical records, if you have them.
- Make a list of any medicines you take. Make sure to tell your provider the dosages.
- Bring a list of questions and things to discuss. Write down your questions or concerns in advance. You may want to bring a friend or family member with you to help.
- Take notes. Jot down any questions that come up during your appointment. Don’t leave until all of your questions have been answered and you understand what to do next.
For more tips on preparing for your doctor’s visit, read our "From Coverage to Care: A Roadmap to Better Care and a Healthier You" (PDF).