2019 tax season is here! Here’s how to prepare
Published on January 16, 2020
Attention: 2019 tax filing season has started. Here’s what you can do now to get ready.
3 steps to get ready for 2019 tax filing:
- Look for Form 1095-A.
- If you or anyone in your household had a 2019 Marketplace plan, you’ll get Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace® Statement in the mail by early February. It comes from the Marketplace, not the IRS.
- It may also be available online in your HealthCare.gov account.
- Check Form 1095-A for accuracy.
- You’ll use Form 1095-A to "reconcile" your premium tax credit if you used advanced payments of the premium tax credit to lower your monthly premium payment, so it’s important the information on it is correct. If you file with an incorrect version, you may need to file an amended return later.
- Confirm things like your coverage and household information, monthly enrollment premium, and
- If you find errors, contact the Marketplace Call Center. We’ll send you an updated copy. Wait to file until you have it.
- Use your correct 1095-A to “reconcile.”
- Now that you have an accurate 1095-A and second lowest cost Silver plan premium, you’re ready to fill out Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit.
- See this step-by-step guide to reconciling for next steps.