3 things to know about Special Enrollment Periods
Published on August 2, 2018
The deadline to enroll in or change 2018 health insurance plans has passed. But you may still be able to enroll for the rest of 2018 if you qualify for a
Certain life events make you eligible
- If you experience life changes, like losing health coverage, getting married, or having a baby, you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. Read the full list of life events.
- You can also answer a few fast questions to see if you qualify.
You have a limited window to enroll
- You usually have up to 60 days after the life event to enroll in a plan.
- If you don’t act in time, you’ll have to wait until the next Open Enrollment Period from November 1–December 15, 2018, to enroll for 2019.
You may need to submit documents to confirm your eligibility
- Depending on your life event, you may have to provide documents that prove your eligibility to enroll.
- You must send them before you can start using your coverage.
Learn more about getting coverage outside Open Enrollment.