Coming soon: Changes to the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) for 2018
Published on November 1, 2017
It’s that time of year again, when you may be starting to think about your small business’ health insurance options for 2018. For plans starting January 1, 2018, the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) will offer some new features that’ll impact how you enroll and manage your coverage.
What’s new for small business owners
- For plans starting on or after January 1, 2018, you’ll enroll with your insurance company, or with the assistance of an agent or broker.
- You’ll no longer use HealthCare.gov to select and enroll in plans, or manage coverage and pay premiums. See SHOP plans and prices in your area.
What’s staying the same
- SHOP plans still offer private insurance coverage for you and your employees in 2018.
- SHOP is available for small businesses with 1-50 employees. See if SHOP is right for your business.
- Offering SHOP insurance is generally the only way to get the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit.
- You’ll still use HealthCare.gov to verify that your business is eligible for SHOP insurance. You can also browse plans and prices and find useful resources.
- You can use your current SHOP-registered agent or broker or a new one. Find an agent or broker in your area.