How can I get ready for SHOP?
If you own a small business, you can prepare to use SHOP now. You can explore your options, gather key information, and get help from a trusted source.
SHOP is open to employers with 50 or fewer full-time equivalent (FTE) employees.
Learn about and get ready for SHOP
- Learn about the SHOP Marketplace—how it works, which businesses qualify, and how using SHOP can benefit you and your employees.
- View detailed questions and answers on SHOP procedures, including eligibility, application, enrollment, employee communications, and more.
- Get organized with your employee list, health insurance budget, and a target date to start coverage.
- Sign up for email updates. We'll keep you informed with the latest news, key deadlines, and other important information about SHOP.
Ask your agent or broker about SHOP
Licensed agents and brokers may be able to help you with your SHOP Marketplace options at no additional cost to you and your employees. You may use your existing broker if you already have one.
If you offer coverage, check in with your insurance company
You can find out if your insurance company plans to offer coverage through SHOP, as a qualified health plan, and more.
- If your insurance company isn't offering coverage through SHOP, check with your broker or agent or go to the SHOP website yourself to compare your current plan to options in the SHOP Marketplace.
- Small business health insurance tax credits are available only through the SHOP. If you currently get the credit, this is very important to take into account when you make an insurance choice.
See this checklist of actions you can take now to get ready for SHOP.
There is a SHOP Marketplace in each state. You must have an office or employee work site within the SHOP's service area to use that particular SHOP. Choose your state and we’ll guide you to the right SHOP for you.
Have questions about the SHOP Marketplace for businesses with 50 or fewer employees? Call 1-800-706-7893 (TTY users: 1-800-706-7915). Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. EST. Agents and brokers may also use this number.