If you have SHOP Marketplace insurance and your employer offers it again for the coming plan year, you’ll have to decide whether to accept the offer and make any choices available to you.
IMPORTANT: You must log in and take action
Your SHOP health insurance doesn't renew automatically. To keep or change your coverage, you must log in to HealthCare.gov and take action.
Renew, decline, or make changes to your insurance
- Once your employer has updated your coverage offer for the new plan year, you’ll get an email. (If you don't have access to email, your employer will make sure you get this information.)
- The email will include the plan or plans offered, which may be the same as or different than last year. It'll explain how to accept or decline the offer, and make any choices available to you.
- You don’t need a unique code: Just log in to your HealthCare.gov account to review your options.
- Be sure to make your choices and respond by the deadline in the email. You'll have at least one week to make your decision.
If you decline the insurance offer
- If you decline your employer’s insurance offer, you can’t enroll for the rest of the plan year. The only exceptions are if you have a life change like having a baby, getting married, or losing other health coverage. In these cases, you’ll qualify for a Special Enrollment Period allowing you to enroll.
- If you have no health coverage at all, you may have to pay a penalty for the months you’re uncovered. Learn more about the penalty.
Contact the SHOP Call Center at 1-800-706-7893 (TTY: 711) weekdays from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET.