Immigration status and the Marketplace
People with the following immigration statuses qualify for Marketplace coverage.
Get details about what document numbers and other information you’ll need to fill out a Marketplace application.
Immigrants with the following statuses qualify to use the Marketplace:
- Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR/Green Card holder)
- Cuban/Haitian Entrant
- Paroled into the U.S.
- Conditional Entrant Granted before 1980
- Battered Spouse, Child and Parent
- Victim of Trafficking and his/her Spouse, Child, Sibling or Parent
- Granted Withholding of Deportation or Withholding of Removal, under the immigration laws or under the Convention against Torture (CAT)
- Individual with Non-immigrant Status, includes worker visas (such as H1, H-2A, H-2B), student visas, U-visa, T-visa, and other visas, and citizens of Micronesia, the Marshall Islands, and Palau
- Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
- Deferred Enforced Departure (DED)
- Deferred Action Status (Exception: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is not an eligible immigration status for applying for health insurance)
- Lawful Temporary Resident
- Administrative order staying removal issued by the Department of Homeland Security
- Member of a federally-recognized Indian tribe or American Indian Born in Canada
- Resident of American Samoa
Applicants for any of these statuses qualify to use the Marketplace:
- Temporary Protected Status with Employment Authorization
- Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
- Victim of Trafficking Visa
- Adjustment to LPR Status
- Asylum (see note below)
- Withholding of Deportation, or Withholding of Removal, under the immigration laws or under the Convention against Torture (CAT) (see note below)
Applicants for asylum are eligible for Marketplace coverage only if they’ve been granted employment authorization or are under the age of 14 and have had an application pending for at least 180 days.
People with the following statuses and who have employment authorization qualify for the Marketplace:
- Registry Applicants
- Order of Supervision
- Applicant for Cancellation of Removal or Suspension of Deportation
- Applicant for Legalization under Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA)
- Legalization under the LIFE Act
Remember: Information about immigration status will be used only to determine eligibility for coverage and not for immigration enforcement.