Coverage for U.S. citizens & U.S. nationals
United States (U.S.) citizens and U.S. nationals can get Marketplace coverage and may qualify for premium tax credits and other savings on Marketplace plans.
A U.S. citizen is someone who was born in the U.S or U.S. territories (except for American Samoa), or who was born outside the U.S. and:
- Became naturalized as a U.S. citizen
- Became a U.S. citizen through the naturalization of his or her parent(s)
- Became a U.S. citizen through adoption by U.S. citizen parents, if certain conditions are met
- Acquired citizenship at birth because he or she was born to U.S. citizen parent(s)
- Became a U.S. citizen by operation of law (a law that allows certain individual's citizenship)
A U.S. national is someone who’s a U.S. citizen or owes permanent allegiance to the U.S. In nearly all cases, non-citizen U.S. nationals are people born in American Samoa or abroad with one or more American Samoan parents under certain conditions.