To sell SHOP health insurance to small businesses, you’ll need to register and sign the SHOP Privacy and Security agreement.
Step 1. Create a CMS Enterprise Portal user ID
- Visit the CMS Enterprise Portal at https://portal.cms.gov/ and select "New User Registration." (If you’ve already registered to sell individual plans, don't create a second Enterprise Portal account. You can proceed to Step 2)
- Create a CMS Enterprise Portal user ID and password, and log in.
- Select the agent/broker role and request application access.
- Complete the identity proofing process.
When you finish, your CMS Enterprise Portal user ID will be activated.
Step 2. Complete the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement
- Log in to the CMS Enterprise Portal.
- Navigate to the Marketplace Learning Management System (MLMS).
- Complete a profile.
TIP: Be sure you indicate you're a SHOP agent or broker
When creating a profile, be sure to select "Yes" when asked if you're a SHOP agent or broker.
- You'll also be asked if you want your contact information to be displayed in the Find Local Help tool. Select "Yes" so small employers can find you.
- Sign the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement.
More Answers: SHOP agents & brokers
- Do I need my state license number?
No. While you must have an active state insurance license to sell SHOP plans, you'll only need your National Producer Number (NPN) to register.
- Do I have to take training to sell SHOP plans?
No, it’s not mandatory. We recommend you take this training before you sign the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement, but it’s not required. You can return to take the training any time.
- Once I’m registered with SHOP, do I have to register again?
Yes. Agents and brokers must sign the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement every year. You'll get reminder messages.