- Overview of SHOP: Health insurance for small businesses
- How to offer SHOP health insurance to your employees
- How to work with a SHOP-registered insurance agent or broker
- Find out if your small business qualifies for SHOP
- Tools and calculators to help you apply
- SHOP how-to guides, fact sheets, tools, and other resources for employers
- How to appeal a SHOP decision
- What to do if you can’t enroll in SHOP coverage due to a qualifying life event
Overview of SHOP: Health insurance for small businesses
- To purchase SHOP insurance, your business or non-profit organization generally must have 1 to 50 employees. See if your business qualifies for SHOP.
- If eligible, you don't have to wait for an Open Enrollment Period. You can start offering SHOP coverage to your employees any time of year.
4 reasons to offer SHOP coverage
- SHOP insurance gives you choice and flexibility. You can:
- Offer your employees one plan, or let them choose from multiple
- Offer only health coverage, only dental coverage, or both
- Choose how much you pay toward your employees' premiums and whether to offer coverage to their dependents
- Decide how long new employees must wait before enrolling
- Get the information you need in one location. You can make an informed decision about your SHOP insurance options with the tools at HealthCare.gov:
- You can work with an agent or broker. You can use your current SHOP-registered agent or broker or find a new one to help you enroll in coverage.
- You may be able to get the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit. Enrolling in SHOP insurance is generally the only way for eligible small employers to take advantage of the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit. You may qualify if you have fewer than 25 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees making an average of about $56,000 or less.
Enrolling in SHOP insurance
- Contact your insurance company and enroll directly through them.
- Enroll with the assistance of a SHOP-registered agent or broker.
- See all SHOP tools, calculators, fact sheets, how-to guides, videos, and other resources for employers.
- Contact the SHOP Call Center at 1-800-706-7893 (TTY: 1-888-201-6445).