Enroll and pay your first premium
- After you’ve met your employee participation requirement, submit your enrollment.
- If you enroll by the 15th of any month, your coverage can start the first day of the next month.
- You’ll need to pay your first month’s premium immediately (at the time you finalize your enrollment) to be sure your employee coverage starts on time.
- You’ll pay your premium to the SHOP Marketplace, not your insurance company.
- An agent or broker can’t make your payment for you.
- Payment must be received no later than the 20th of the month for coverage to start on the 1st of the following month.
- If payment isn’t received on time, coverage won’t begin and your enrollment will be cancelled.
- Log in to your HealthCare.gov account to find your first month’s premium amount on the Enrollment page. You won’t get an invoice for the first month’s premium.
Paying your monthly premium
After your first month’s premium is paid, follow these steps for future months so your premium is processed and paid on time.
- Log in to get your invoice Once your coverage is effective, your invoice can be found in the inbox of your SHOP Marketplace account on or around the 10th of the month for the following month's coverage. We'll also mail you a paper invoice if you prefer.
- Pay your monthly premium on time Payment in full is due on the 1st of the following month. If you have health and dental coverage, you must pay both premiums in full so you don’t lose your coverage. If you don’t make the full payment on time, it will be late and your coverage may be terminated.
- Don’t pay late If the SHOP Marketplace doesn’t get your payment by the due date, you'll be late and your SHOP Marketplace coverage will be terminated. You'll have up to 30 days past the termination period to reinstate your coverage. To be reinstated, you must pay all past due invoices and prepay the current month's premiums.
Important: You can reinstate coverage only once a year. If you’re past due a second time, your coverage will be terminated and you’ll have to reapply for new SHOP Marketplace coverage.
- Look for premium adjustments If you add or terminate an employee, you’ll see the premium adjustment on your next month's invoice. If you have an automatic payment set up, you'll need to update it for the new premium amount.
Making a payment
You can pay your monthly premium online, by phone, by mail, or by setting up automatic payment.
Making a payment
|If you pay this way...
||You’ll do this
This is the fastest way to pay so you won't have any payment delays or gap in coverage. Payments made on holidays or after 9pm EST will be posted the next business day. The payment will be applied to your account in 3-5 business days.
Get started: Log in to your HealthCare.gov account and click View Invoice/Make a Payment. You'll get a confirmation notice. Keep this notice for your records.
A customer service representative can take your payment over the phone.
Get started: Contact the SHOP Call Center at 1-800-706-7893 (TTY: 711) weekdays from 9am to 7pm EST.
Make checks payable to the SHOP Marketplace and allow 5-7 days for delivery and processing
Get started: When paying by check, include your Employer Tax ID number (EIN/TIN).
Mail your SHOP Marketplace payments to:
P.O. Box 2130
South Portland, ME 04116
Set up a monthly automatic payment for ease and reliability of payment.
Get started: Log in to your HealthCare.gov account and click View Invoice/Make a Payment. Under Payment Information, select Recurring payment.
You'll need to change your automatic payment if you:
- Add or terminate an employee
- Change bank accounts
- Change the payment date
Note: Stop you auto payment if you terminate coverage. If you don't stop recurring payment after your coverage is terminated, the funds will continue to be withdrawn from your bank account.