How to enroll in SHOP insurance
Find out if your small business qualifies for SHOP
1. Have 1-50 full-time equivalent employees (FTEs)
- Use the FTE Calculator to find out if you qualify.
- To qualify for SHOP, you must have at least 1 FTE employee other than owners, spouses, and family members of owners, and partners.
2. Offer coverage to all full-time employees
- Full-time employees generally work 30 or more hours per week.
- You don’t have to offer coverage to part-time employees — those averaging less than 30 hours per week — or seasonal workers. (But, you can offer coverage to part-time employees if you choose.)
3. Enroll at least 70% of the employees you offer insurance to
- Use the SHOP Minimum Participation Rate (MPR) Calculator to check how many of your employees must accept.
- Some states have different minimum participation requirements. Find out if your state has a different MPR.
- You don’t have to meet the minimum participation requirement between November 15 - December 15 any year.
- Employees with other health coverage aren't counted as “rejecting” your offer.
4. Have an office or employee work site within the state whose SHOP you want to use
- Learn how to access SHOP insurance in your state. We’ll show you next steps.
- Find out what to do if your business operates in multiple states.
- Review all SHOP tools, calculators, fact sheets, how-to guides, videos, and other resources for employers.
- Contact the SHOP Call Center at 1-800-706-7893 (TTY: 1-888-201-6445).
- Iowa: 75%
- Louisiana: 75%
- Mississippi: 0%
- New Hampshire: 75%
- South Dakota: 75%
- Tennessee: 50%
- Texas: 75%
- Utah: 75%