To sell SHOP health insurance to small businesses, you’ll need to register with the Federally-facilitated Marketplace and sign the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement each year before helping consumers enroll in and manage coverage.
Step 1. Create a CMS Enterprise Portal user ID
- Create an account (if you don’t already have one) and select "New User Registration." If you already have an account, don't create a another one. Instead, you can proceed to completing the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement.
- Under the "Choose Your Application" drop-down menu, select the MLMS: Marketplace Learning Management System
- Create a CMS Enterprise Portal user ID and password, and log in.
- Select the agent/broker role and request application access.
- Complete the identity proofing process. Enter and confirm your information and answer identity verification questions. You'll then be asked to log out and log back into the CMS Enterprise Portal.
- When you finish, your CMS Enterprise Portal user ID will be activated.
Step 2. Complete the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement
- Log in to the CMS Enterprise Portal.
- Navigate to the Marketplace Learning Management System (MLMS).
- Complete a profile.
Be sure you indicate you're a SHOP agent or broker when creating your profile.
- You'll also be asked how you would like your contact information to be displayed in Find Local Help.
- Sign the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement.
NOTE: Small businesses enroll in SHOP coverage through insurance companies or with your help, but you still need to register with SHOP before assisting small business clients.
More Answers: SHOP agents & brokers
- Do I need to provide my state license number?
No. While you must have an active state insurance license to sell SHOP plans, you'll only need your National Producer Number (NPN) to register.
- Do I have to complete training to sell SHOP plans?
No, it’s not mandatory. We recommend you complete training before you sign the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement, but it’s not required. You can return to complete the training anytime.
- Once I’m registered with SHOP, do I have to register again?
Yes. Agents and brokers must sign the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement every year. You'll get reminder messages.