Begin highlighted text
IMPORTANT: This page applies to 2017 Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) coverage that started between February 1 and December 1, 2017.
For 2018 insurance that started or will start on or after January 1, 2018, small businesses will enroll or renew in SHOP differently than before. Learn more.
End highlighted text
If you offer 2017 SHOP coverage to your employees and that coverage began anytime between February 1 and December 1, 2017:
- Your SHOP plan year is 12 months. For example, a SHOP plan that started on November 1, 2017, will end on October 31, 2018.
- As long as you continue to pay your premiums, your coverage won’t be affected by the 2018 SHOP changes until your current 12-month policy period ends.
- While your 2017 coverage is active, you’ll continue to use HealthCare.gov to manage your coverage and pay premiums.
- When it's time to renew or change your SHOP insurance, you’ll follow the new process for enrolling in 2018 SHOP coverage.
How to pay your premiums for 2017 coverage
Online: This is the fastest and easiest way to pay. Just log in to your HealthCare.gov account and click "View invoice/make a payment." The payment will be applied to your account within 3–5 business days.
By phone: A customer representative at the SHOP Call Center can take your payment over the phone. Contact the SHOP Call Center.
By mail: Make checks payable to the SHOP Marketplace and allow 5–7 days for delivery. Also, include your Employer Tax ID number (EIN/TIN).
P.O. Box 2130
South Portland, ME 04116
By automatic payment: Set up automatic payments by logging in to your HealthCare.gov account and clicking “View invoice/make a payment.” Under "Payment information," select "Recurring payment."
Note: Be sure to change your automatic payment if you:
- Add or terminate an employee (if you add or terminate an employee, you'll see the premium adjustment on your next month's invoice)
- Change bank accounts
- Change the payment date
- Terminate coverage (you'll need to stop your autopayment or the funds will continue to be withdrawn from your bank account)
When to pay your premiums for 2017 coverage
Around the 10th of the current month, log in to your account. Check your messages for next month’s invoice. (We can also mail you a copy, if you prefer.)
- Pay your monthly premium on time. Full payment is due on the first of the month. If you have health and dental coverage, you must pay both premiums in full. If SHOP doesn’t receive your payment by the due date, you could lose your coverage.
- If your payment is late, you have up to 30 days past the termination period to reinstate your coverage. To do so, you must pay all past-due invoices and prepay the current month's premiums. Note: You can only reinstate coverage once per year. If you’re past due a second time, your coverage will be terminated, and you’ll have to reapply for new SHOP coverage.
When it's time to renew or change for 2018
Once your 2017 plan ends, you won't use HealthCare.gov to renew your coverage. Instead, you’ll work with your insurance company or SHOP-registered agent or broker. Check with them a few months before your coverage is set to expire. Note any important deadlines for renewing, so you don’t experience a gap in coverage.
Learn more about renewing 2018 coverage.
2017 SHOP coverage resources
- Contact the SHOP Call Center at 1-800-706-7893 (TTY: 711) weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time.