You can work with any licensed insurance agent or broker in the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) Marketplace. They must be registered with the SHOP Marketplace first.
FYI: Are you an insurance agent or broker?
Visit our agents and brokers page to learn how to sell SHOP Marketplace insurance to small businesses.
Work with your agent or broker, or find a new one
Working with an Agent or Broker in the SHOP Marketplace
SHOP Marketplace-registered agents and brokers can help you enroll or handle the whole process for you.
You won’t pay more if you use an agent or broker.
- Work with your current agent or broker
- You can work with your current agent or broker as long as they sign an agreement and register with the Marketplace. Ask your agent or broker if they’ve signed it.
- Once they’re registered, you’ll need to authorize them to represent you in the Marketplace. Learn how.
- Find a SHOP-registered agent or broker near you
- Use our Find Local Help tool. Enter your ZIP code, check the box for small businesses, and you'll see a list of SHOP registered agents and brokers in your area.
- If you have a SHOP Marketplace account, log in and select the "Get Assistance" tab. You can search for SHOP registered agents and brokers by ZIP code, name, or National Producer Number (NPN).
Learn about getting help from agents and brokers in the SHOP Marketplace (PDF).
More answers: Using agents & brokers with the SHOP Marketplace
Log in to your HealthCare.gov account and select “Visit the Employer Marketplace." Then do a search for your agent or broker and select “Authorize” next to their name. This sends an authorization request. Once they accept your request they can start working with you.
NOTE: You can authorize a SHOP Marketplace-registered agent or broker any time — before you apply, after you enroll, after your coverage starts, or any other time. You can change agents or brokers up to twice per year.
- Can an agent or broker do everything for me?
Almost. A licensed insurance agent or broker registered with the SHOP Marketplace can help you:
- Determine if your business is eligible to use the SHOP Marketplace
- Understand eligibility for the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit
- Fill out a SHOP Marketplace application
- Review and compare plans
- Manage employee acceptances and declines of your offer
- Enroll in a plan
- Manage and update your coverage after you’re enrolled
- Handle renewals and plan changes
Important: Agents or brokers can’t submit your premium payments for you. You’ll pay your premiums directly to the SHOP Marketplace yourself.