Quick-start guide: 5 steps to start selling Marketplace health & dental plans
Before selling health insurance plans through the federal Health Insurance Marketplace® (FFM) on HealthCare.gov, you’ll need to register, sign agreements, and complete required training. The 5 steps are below.
(If you want to sell only small business group plans through the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) Marketplace, registration and training are slightly different. See how to register to sell only SHOP plans.)
STEP 1. Create an account
IMPORTANT: Already have a CMS Enterprise Portal account? Don't create another! You'll just need to renew for 2022. Don't follow the steps on this page. See how to renew for 2022 (PDF, 312 KB).
- Go to the CMS Enterprise Portal at https://portal.cms.gov/
- Select New User Registration (in the box at the upper right) and create an account.
STEP 2. Identify yourself as an agent or broker
- Log in to your new Enterprise Portal account at https://portal.cms.gov/
- Select Request Access Now.
- Select the FFM/Training - Agents/Brokers/Assisters tile.
- Select FFM Agent Broker from the dropdown menu.
STEP 3. Confirm your identity
- Provide basic information that lets us confirm your identity (known as “identity-proofing”).
- After you’re identify-proofed, you’ll be sent to the CMS Enterprise Portal home page.
- Log out of the Enterprise Portal.
- Wait a few minutes for the agent/broker role to be assigned to your profile.
STEP 4. Take required training
IMPORTANT: You can take free training from CMS, or sign up for a paid course through a CMS-approved vendor. Vendor training may offer continuing education units (CEUs). Free CMS training doesn't offer CEUs.
- Log in to the CMS Enterprise Portal at https://portal.cms.gov/
- Select Complete Agent Broker Training.
- Select the Access Training link next to Marketplace Learning Management System (MLMS) or a CMS-approved vendor.
- Complete the required profile information and select Save/Update. (If you're taking training with a CMS-approved vendor, you'll do this before signing the CMS Privacy and Security agreements.)
- Select the appropriate curriculum (Individual Market or SHOP).
- Enroll in the curriculum and select Complete Enrollment.
- Complete all required training.
STEP 5. Sign the privacy and security agreements
- Go to Current Learning to launch and electronically sign the CMS Privacy and Security agreements.
- Select Curriculum State and click the Actions link (to the right of a completed curriculum).
- Print your Registration Completion Certificate.
- Get general agent & broker information from CMS.
- See a detailed agent and broker FAQ in the “Help” section of the Marketplace Learning Management Service (MLMS).
- Get information about selling group plans to small businesses through the Small Business Health Insurance Program (SHOP) Marketplace.