5 questions about dental coverage in the Marketplace
Published on July 17, 2015
You’ve got questions; we’ve got answers. Read these 5 questions to learn more about dental coverage in the Health Insurance Marketplace®.
- Can I get dental coverage through the Marketplace? In the Marketplace, dental coverage is included in some health plans. You can also get a
- How do I add dental coverage to my Marketplace plan? You can buy a dental plan through the federal Marketplace only when you enroll in a health plan at the same time. If you’re already enrolled in a Marketplace plan, you can’t add on dental coverage. You have to wait until the next Special Enrollment Period, you can get dental coverage when you change health plans.
- How can I see what dental plans and benefits are available? After you complete your Marketplace application and get your results, you can view health plans that include dental coverage. If you decide you want a stand-alone dental plan, you can choose one after you select your health plan.
- Do I have to get dental coverage for my child? No. Dental coverage for children is an essential health benefit. This means if you’re getting health coverage for someone 18 or under, dental coverage must be available for them either as part of a health plan or as a stand-alone plan. But while dental coverage for children must be available, you don’t have to buy it.
- Can I cancel my Marketplace dental coverage at any time and still keep my health coverage? It depends on what type of dental coverage you have. If you have a
If you have a health plan that includes dental benefits, you can change to another health plan without dental benefits only during Open Enrollment, unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.