Health benefits & coverage
Dental coverage in the Marketplace
In the Marketplace, you can pick a health plan with or without dental benefits. If you pick a health plan without dental benefits, you can still get a separate dental plan.
Dental coverage is available 2 ways
Health plans with dental coverage: Some Marketplace health plans have dental coverage. You can see which plans include dental coverage when you compare them.
If a health plan includes dental, the premium covers both health and dental coverage.
Separate dental plans: In some cases, separate dental plans are offered. You can see them when you shop for plans in the Marketplace.
If you pick a separate dental plan, you’ll pay a separate premium. This is in addition to the premium you pay for your Marketplace health plan.
Dental plan categories: High and low
There are 2 categories of Marketplace dental plans: High and low.
- High coverage level has higher
- Low coverage level has lower premiums but higher copayments and deductibles. So you’ll pay less every month, but more when you get dental services.
When you compare dental plans in the Marketplace, you’ll find details about each plan’s costs, copayments, deductibles, and services covered.
Adult & child dental insurance in the Marketplace
Dental insurance is treated differently for adults and children 18 and under.
Dental coverage is an essential health benefit for children. This means if you’re getting health coverage for someone 18 or younger, dental coverage must be available for your child either as part of a health plan or as a separate dental plan.
Note: While dental coverage for children must be available to you, you don’t have to buy it.
Dental coverage isn't an essential health benefit for adults. Health plans don’t have to offer adult dental coverage.
More answers: Dental coverage & the Marketplace
- Can I cancel my Marketplace dental coverage and still keep my health coverage?
- If you have a separate dental plan: You can cancel any time. Learn how to cancel a separate dental plan while keeping your health plan.
- If you’re enrolled in a health plan with dental coverage: You can't remove dental coverage from your Marketplace health plan. But, you can change health plans (with or without dental coverage):
- During the yearly
- Outside Open Enrollment, if you qualify for a