An official website of the United States government

Here's how you know

2022 health coverage & your federal taxes

If you had Marketplace coverage at any point during 2022, you must file your taxes and "reconcile" your premium tax credits.
You’ll use Form 1095-A to "reconcile" your 2022 premium tax credits when you file your 2022 taxes.
  • If you got excess
    for 2022, you’ll have to report the excess APTC on your 2022 tax return or file Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PDF, 110 KB).
  • If you’re claiming a net Premium Tax Credit for 2022, including if you got an increase in premium tax credits when you reconciled and filed, you still need to include Form 8962.
  • If you submitted your 2022 tax return electronically but it was rejected for a missing Form 8962, learn how to fix it and correctly file electronically.

Choose 2022 health insurance status for steps & tax forms

If more than one situation applied at different times or for different household members, start with one option, and we’ll take you to others.

You had a Marketplace plan with premium tax credits

You enrolled in a health plan through the Marketplace and used premium tax credits to lower your monthly payments.

You had a Marketplace plan without premium tax credits

You enrolled in a Marketplace plan but paid full price – because you either didn’t qualify for a premium tax credit or didn’t apply for one.

You had job-based health insurance

You had health insurance through a job, a retiree health plan, COBRA, or the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP).

You had other health coverage

You bought a plan outside the Marketplace or were covered by Medicare, Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), or another source.

You had no health coverage

You had no health coverage for all or most of 2022.