Things to know about picking a plan before Nov. 1
Published on October 17, 2019
Before you apply for 2020 Marketplace health insurance starting November 1, there are several things to consider that’ll help you choose the plan that’s right for you.
The 4 “metal” categories
- There are 4 categories of health insurance plans: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum.
- These categories show how you and your plan share costs. Plan categories have nothing to do with quality of care.
- Get more information on Marketplace health insurance categories.
Health insurance plan & network types
- Different types of Marketplace health insurance plans are designed to meet different needs. Some plans restrict your provider choices or encourage you to get care from the plan’s network of doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, and other medical service providers. Other plans pay a greater share of costs when you use providers outside the plan’s network.
- Get familiar with the different plan types you’ll find in the Marketplace.
Total health care costs
- Consider your total health care costs, not just the monthly premium. Other out-of-pocket costs have a big impact on your total health care spending — sometimes more than the premium.
- Get more information on how these costs work together to make up your total spending.
See tips on choosing an insurance plan.