What to Do After Applying For Health Care on Paper or By Phone
If you applied for coverage with a paper application or over the phone, you can contact the call center or continue online once you have your Application ID.
Regardless of how you applied, if you’re eligible for coverage through the Marketplace your next step is to compare health plans side-by-side, choose a plan, and enroll.
After you apply with a paper application or by phone, you’ll get an eligibility notice and Application ID one of 3 ways:
- By mail
- In your HealthCare.gov account, if you have one. You’ll see a message that a notice is available. Click on your application and select “View Eligibility Results” to download and read your notice.
- By phone
If you applied by phone or paper application and haven’t received a notice in the mail, you can do one of 2 things:
- Contact the Marketplace Call Center to see if your eligibility results are ready. If they are, the Call Center can provide your Application ID if you want to continue the process online.
- Start a new application, either online or by phone.
To continue your existing application by phone or online
Once you have your eligibility notice and Application ID, you can continue with your existing application 2 ways:
- By phone. A Call Center representative can describe all available plans, help you compare them by price and features, and finish your enrollment by phone. Call 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325).
- Online. To do this, follow the directions below.
Set up a Marketplace account or log in
- If you don’t have a Marketplace account: Contact the Marketplace Call Center. A representative can help you submit an application over the phone. Call 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325).
- If you already have a Marketplace account: Log in with your username and password.
Enter your Application ID
Once you’re logged in, select “Find my existing application.” You’ll be asked to enter your Application ID.
Next steps: See plans, compare, enroll
Once you’ve provided your Application ID, you can see the plans available to you, compare them, choose a plan, and enroll.
Be sure to pay your premium
After you finish your enrollment online or by phone, you must pay your first month’s premium in order for your coverage to take effect. You make this payment to your insurance company, not the Marketplace. Contact your insurance company for details.
If you or a member of your family qualifies for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), we’ll send your information to your state agency. A representative will contact you to enroll.