Get Medicaid & CHIP anytime if eligible
Published on April 26, 2018
Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) are free or low-cost health programs that cover many services, like hospitalizations, doctor visits, and prescription drugs. If you qualify for Medicaid or CHIP, your coverage can start right away, any time of year.
Who qualifies for Medicaid & CHIP
- In all states, Medicaid and CHIP provide health coverage for certain children, parents, pregnant women, elderly people with limited income, and people with disabilities.
- In some states the programs also cover other adults below a certain income level. Children in families with household incomes too high to qualify for Medicaid may still qualify to enroll in CHIP.
- Use our savings tool to see if you qualify for Medicaid in your state based only on your income.
How to apply for Medicaid & CHIP
- You can apply through the Health Insurance Marketplace®. Fill out an application, and if it looks like anyone in your household qualifies for Medicaid or CHIP, we’ll automatically send your information to your state agency. They’ll contact you about enrollment.
- You can also apply directly with your state Medicaid agency. Select your state from the drop-down list for your Medicaid agency’s contact information.
Learn more about Medicaid and CHIP coverage.