Using your Marketplace coverage: find a doctor and prepare for your first visit
Published on June 19, 2015
Choosing the right doctor or other health care provider is one of the most important decisions you’ll make about your health care. You should look for a doctor you can trust and work with to improve your health and well-being.
Here are some tips for how to find a doctor near you:
- Call your insurance company or state Medicaid and CHIP program. Look at their website or check your member handbook to find doctors in your network who take your health coverage.
- Ask your friends or family if they have doctors they like and use this tool to compare doctors and other health care providers in your area.
Once you’ve found a doctor, schedule your first visit. Be sure to tell the office if you’re a new patient, the name of the doctor you want to see, and the reason for your appointment. If you already have a doctor you like and want to keep working with, call their office and ask if they accept your coverage.
Here are some ways to prepare for your first appointment:
- Make sure you have items like your insurance card, photo ID, and a list of any medications you’re currently taking.
- Review your family health history before your appointment, so you can share this information with your doctor.
- Ask about any questions or concerns you have about your health – write them down so you don’t forget to ask.
Watch the video: "Finding a Provider" - from Coverage to Care
Watch the video: "My First Visit" - from Coverage to Care