Health coverage exemptions: Forms & how to apply
After you apply for a health coverage exemption
After you mail an exemption application to the Health Insurance Marketplace®, we’ll review it and determine if you qualify.
Our response time depends on several things:
- How complicated your request is
- How complete your application is
- Whether you need to submit documentation after you apply
To speed up the process, submit any required documentation with your exemption application. Check that you’ve answered all questions and provided all information before you put it in the mail.
If you get a letter or a phone call asking for more information, provide it as soon as possible.
The Health Insurance Marketplace® will mail you a notice with your exemption eligibility result.
- If you qualify for an exemption, the notice you get from the Marketplace will include your unique Exemption Certificate Number (ECN).
- You’ll use your ECN when you apply online at HealthCare.gov or with the help of a Call Center representative.
If you don’t agree with an exemption decision, you can file an appeal.