High Deductible Health Plans (HDHPs) & Health Savings Accounts (HSAs)
Setting up HSAs
After you enroll in an HSA-eligible HDHP, you’ll need to open an HSA separately to get started.
How to find an HSA financial institution
- Research HSA providers online.
- Check with your health insurance company to see if they partner with HSA financial institutions.
- Ask your bank if they offer an HSA option that meets your needs.
Things to think about when choosing an HSA
- Some HSAs have fees associated with them, like a charge for opening or closing the account and monthly maintenance fees.
- Banking options, services, and features, like debit cards and online banking, may differ by HSA provider.
- How you’ll make your pre-tax dollar deposits into your HSA may also vary.
Get more information
- See IRS Publication 502 for a list of qualified medical expenses: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf
- See IRS Publication 969 for information on the tax treatment of HSAs: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p969