FYI: Form 1095-A & your federal taxes
- Find it in your HealthCare.gov account (select your 2019 application, not your 2020 application, and select "Tax forms" from the menu on the left). You’ll also get a copy by U.S. Mail.
- Can't find it? Get help finding your 1095-A.
- IMPORTANT: Don’t file your 2019 taxes until you have an accurate 1095-A.
- Learn how to use your 1095-A.
- Verify basic information about your health plan and household members on Parts I and II of the form. See errors? Contact the Marketplace Call Center.
- Make sure the premium for your second lowest cost Silver plan (SLCSP) is correct. See how to check your SLCSP.
- If it’s not, you’ll use our tax tool when it’s available later in January to get your SLCSP.
- Use the information from your 1095-A to fill out Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit.
- Use Form 8962 to “reconcile” your premium tax credit — compare the amount you used in 2019 to lower your monthly insurance payment with the actual premium tax credit you qualify for based on your final 2019 income. Any difference will affect your refund or tax owed.
- See a step-by-step guide to reconciling your premium tax credit.
- But do not attach your 1095-A to your return. Keep it with your other tax documents.
If you were enrolled in a Marketplace plan with premium tax credits for only part of 2019, or other family members had different coverage, visit the relevant pages below.
See what to do for: