The benefits of health insurance through the Marketplace
Published on August 7, 2015
No one plans to get sick or hurt, but most people need medical care – like a doctor visit, a prescription drug, a lab test, physical therapy, or counseling – at some point. These services can be expensive.
And if something happens that requires surgery or emergency medical care, it’s really important to have coverage. Fixing a broken leg can cost up to $7,500, and the average cost of a 3-day hospital stay is around $30,000.
The Health Insurance Marketplace® offers a variety of high-quality health coverage choices for routine and non-routine medical services that can work for your family and budget.
Benefits even before you meet your deductible
- In the Marketplace, all plans cover some services – like preventive care and well-woman visits – for free.
- Some plans offer other health insurance benefits – like reduced price generic drugs and free disease management programs.
- If you get medical services from a provider in your plan’s network, you’ll pay lower prices than you would without insurance. That can save you hundreds of dollars per year.
What Marketplace health plans cover
One of the benefits of health insurance through the Marketplace is that all health insurance plans cover the same set of essential health benefits, even for a pre-existing health condition. In addition to coverage for doctor visits, lab tests, hospitalization, surgery, and emergency care, here are a few more:
- Pregnancy, maternity, and newborn care before and after your baby is born. You get this coverage even if you were pregnant before your coverage starts. Most plans also provide breastfeeding benefits.
- Preventive services for adults, children, and women. Women’s preventive services include well-woman visits and contraceptive care.
- Mental health and substance abuse services, including behavioral health treatment like counseling and psychotherapy
- Prescription drugs
There may be additional benefits of health insurance through the Marketplace, like plans that offer dental and vision coverage, and coverage for chiropractic or acupuncture services. You’ll see exactly what each plan offers when you compare them side-by-side in the Marketplace.
For more information, visit healthcare.gov/coverage.