Moving can impact your health coverage
Published on July 13, 2023
As you get ready to move, it's important to know that your new address may impact your health coverage options and savings. Don't forget to update your Marketplace application to get the best plan for your household, and the right amount of savings.
Your next steps depend on where you move
When you move to a new state:
- You can't keep the same plan from your old state. Let the Marketplace know if you move to a different state right away, so you don't have a break in coverage or continue to pay for coverage that doesn't apply in your new state.
- To get coverage in your new state, start a new Marketplace application and enroll in a plan in your new state. How you apply depends on whether your new state uses HealthCare.gov or its own website.
- Apply for Marketplace coverage in your new state.
If you move within the same state:
- Your coverage options and savings could change based on your new address.
- Report your change of address to the Marketplace — we'll let you know if you need to pick a new plan.