Pay your monthly premium to your health insurance company to avoid losing coverage
Published on April 21, 2016
Warning: This blog post is out-of-date.Get the latest information
If you enrolled in a 2016 health plan, you must pay your first month’s premium to your health insurance company to avoid losing your coverage.
IMPORTANT Pay your first month’s health insurance premium to your health insurance company, not the Marketplace, by the due date.
How to pay your premium
You may be able to pay your insurance company online using a link on HealthCare.gov:
- Log in to your Marketplace account.
- Select "Start a new application or update an existing one."
- Choose "Go to my applications & coverage" at the bottom of the screen.
- Select your 2016 application under "Your existing applications."
- Click the blue button "Pay your first health insurance monthly premium."
- If online payment is available, choose the green button "Pay for health plan" to go to your insurer’s payment portal.
Note: If your health insurance company doesn’t accept online payment, they should have contacted you with next steps. Contact your health insurance company if you haven’t received details on how to pay or aren’t sure that you paid your premium.