An official website of the United States government

Here's how you know

2016 taxes & the Health Insurance Marketplace®

Other health coverage for 2016

This page applies if you bought a plan outside the Marketplace or were covered by Medicare, Medicaid, the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), or another source.
Depending on what kind of coverage you had, you may get Form 1095-B, Health Coverage, to help you complete your taxes.
If you don’t receive the form, don’t worry. Some insurance providers don’t provide the form to their customers. You don’t need to have one to file your taxes.

If you receive Form 1095-B

  • You should have it by the first week in April.
  • Read Parts III and IV to find information about:
    • Your 2016 insurance coverage
    • Covered individuals and the months they had coverage

Complete your tax return:

If you and your dependents had
for all of 2016:
  • Check the “Full-year coverage” box on your federal income tax form.
  • Don't delay filing your taxes only because you didn't get Form 1095-B or 1095-C.
  • If you got Form 1095-B or 1095-C, don't include it with your tax return. Save it along with your other tax documents.

Health care tax resources

If you had this type of coverage for only part of 2016

See what to do if: