2018 taxes & the Health Insurance Marketplace®
Job-based coverage for 2018
Depending on the kind of job-based coverage you had (including COBRA or retiree coverage), you may get one of these from your employer or insurance company:
- Form 1095-B, Health Coverage
- Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage
1. If you receive Form 1095-B or Form 1095-C
- You should have it by mid-March.
- Read Parts II and IV on Form 1095-B or Parts II and III on Form 1095-C to find information about:
- Your job-based insurance offer and 2018 coverage
- Covered individuals and the months they had coverage
- More about Forms 1095-B or 1095-C from the IRS.
2. Complete your tax return
If you and your dependents were covered by job-based health insurance for all months of 2018:
- Check the “Full-year coverage” box on your federal income tax form. You can find it on Form 1040 (PDF, 147 KB).
Don't delay filing your taxes only because you didn't get Form 1095-B or 1095-C.
If you got Form 1095-B or 1095-C, don't include it with your tax return. Save it along with your other tax documents.
Health care tax resources
Tax forms and instructions:
1095-B and 1095-C information
More than one coverage status?
If you were enrolled in job-based health coverage for only part of 2018, or other family members had different coverage, visit the relevant pages below.
See what to do for: