2018 taxes & the Health Insurance Marketplace®
2018 Marketplace plan with premium tax credits
You must file a federal tax return for 2018 — even if you usually don't file or your income is below the level requiring you to.
1. Find your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace® Statement
Find it in your HealthCare.gov account –select your 2018 application, then select "Tax forms" from the menu on the left.
Don’t file your 2018 taxes until you have an accurate 1095-A.
2. Make sure your 1095-A is correct — and if not, call us
Confirm basic information about health plan and household members on Parts I and II of the form. Contact the Marketplace Call Center if you find an error.
Make sure the premium for your second lowest cost Silver plan (SLCSP) is correct. If it’s not, use our tax tool to get your SLCSP.
3. Fill out Form 8962 to "reconcile"
- Use the information from your 1095-A to fill out Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit.
- Use Form 8962 to “reconcile” your premium tax credit — compare the amount you used in 2018 to lower your monthly insurance payment with the actual premium tax credit you qualify for based on your final 2018 income. Any difference will affect your refund or tax owed.
4. Attach Form 8962 when you file your federal income tax return
Don't attach your 1095-A to your return. Keep Form 8962 with your other tax documents.
Tax forms and guides
- Guide to using Form 1095-A
- IRS information on Form 1095-A
- Step-by-step guide to reconciling your premium tax credit
- Health coverage tax tool (use only if your SLCSP is missing or wrong)
- Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (PDF, 578 KB) and Form 1040 instructions (PDF, 3.1 MB)
More than one coverage status?
If you were enrolled in a Marketplace plan with premium tax credits for only part of 2018, or other household members had different coverage, visit these pages for enrollment in: