2020 taxes & the Health Insurance Marketplace®
2020 Marketplace plan without premium tax credits
You must file a federal tax return for 2020 — even if you usually don't file or your income is below the level requiring you to.
1. Get your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace® Statement
Find it in your HealthCare.gov account — select your 2020 application, then select "Tax Forms" from the menu on the left.
Don’t file your 2020 taxes until you have an accurate 1095-A.
2. Make sure information on your 1095-A is right — and if not, call us
Confirm basic information about your health plan and household members on Parts I and II of the form. Contact the Marketplace Call Center if you find an error.
If you paid full price for your health plan, Part III, column C should be blank or have the number "0".
3. If you paid full price and are sure you don't qualify for a premium tax credit
You don’t have to fill out or include Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit, when you file your federal taxes. Keep your Form 1095-A with your other tax records.
4. If you paid full price and want to see if you qualify for a premium tax credit based on your final 2020 income
- Use the Health Coverage Tax Tool to find the premium for the
- Use this SLCSP figure to fill out Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PDF, 110 KB). You'll find out if you qualify for a premium tax credit based on your final 2020 income.
- If you qualify, your credit will either increase your 2020 refund or reduce your tax owed.
Tax forms and and guides:
- Guide to using Form 1095-A
- IRS information on Form 1095-A
- Health coverage tax tool (use only if your SLCSP is missing or wrong)
- Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (PDF, 147 KB) and Form 1040 instructions (PDF, 4.2 MB)
- Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PDF, 110 KB) and Form 8962 instructions (PDF, 348 KB)
More than one coverage status?
If you were enrolled in a Marketplace plan without premium tax credits for only part of 2020, or other household members had different coverage, visit the relevant pages for enrollment in: