If you had a Marketplace plan without premium tax credits
1. Get your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace® Statement
- Find it in your HealthCare.gov account (select your 2022 application, not your 2023 application, and select "Tax Forms" from the menu on the left). You'll also get a copy by U.S. Mail.
- Can't find it? Get help finding your 1095-A.
- IMPORTANT: Don’t file your 2022 taxes until you have an accurate 1095-A.
- Learn how to use your 1095-A.
2. Make sure information on your 1095-A is right — and if not, call us
- Verify basic information about your health plan and household members on Parts I and II of the form. Find errors? Contact the Marketplace Call Center.
- If you paid full price for your health plan, Part III, Column C should be blank or have the number "0."
3. If you paid full price and are sure you don't qualify for a premium tax credit
- You don’t have to fill out or include Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit, when you file your federal taxes.
- Keep your Form 1095-A with your other tax records.
4. If you paid full price and want to check if you qualify for a premium tax credit based on your final 2022 income
- Use the Health Coverage Tax Tool when it’s available later in January to find the premium for the second lowest cost Silver plan (SLCSP) that applied to you for 2022. (If you paid full price, this information won’t appear on your 1095-A.)
- Use this SLCSP figure to fill out Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PDF, 110 KB). You'll find out if you qualify for a premium tax credit based on your final 2022 income.
- If you qualify, your credit will either increase your 2022 refund or reduce your tax owed.
Health care tax resources
Tax guides and tools
- Guide to using Form 1095-A
- IRS information on Form 1095-A
- Health coverage tax tool (use when it’s available later in January only if your SLCSP is missing or wrong)
Tax forms and instructions
- Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (PDF, 147 KB) and Form 1040 instructions (PDF, 4.1 MB)
- Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PDF, 110 KB) and Form 8962 instructions (PDF, 348 KB)
More than one coverage status?
If you were enrolled in a Marketplace plan without premium tax credits for only part of 2022, or other family members had different coverage, visit the relevant pages below.
Learn what to do for: