Skip to main content

An official website of the United States government

Here's how you know

People under 30

In school? Student health plans & other options

If your school offers a student health plan, it can be an easy and affordable way to get basic insurance coverage.
  • If you're enrolled in a student health plan, in most cases it counts as qualifying health coverage.
  • This means you're considered covered under the health care law and won't have to pay the penalty for not having insurance. Be sure to check with the plan to be sure.

Enrolling in a Marketplace plan instead

Even if you have access to a student health plan, you can apply for coverage (or stay covered) through the Health Insurance Marketplace® instead.

If you're a dependent under 26

  • Living in the same state as your parents: You can be included on your parent's application. Your parent can add you during Open Enrollment (or during a Special Enrollment Period, if they qualify). Losing a student health plan may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period. This way they can add you to their plan outside Open Enrollment. (Voluntarily dropping a student plan doesn’t qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period.)
  • Living in a different state from your parents: You have two options:
    • Apply for coverage with your parent or stay on their plan. Before you enroll or decide to stay on a parent’s plan, be sure to read the plan's coverage documents and review the provider network carefully so you know how the plan covers care delivered in the state you go to school.
    • Apply yourself in the state you go to school. You may want to do this to enroll in a plan that better meets your needs in the state you go to school. When you fill out your application, note:
      • You'll still be included in your parent's tax household, even though you're applying separately. They'll fill out or update their application and state that you don't need health coverage. Your income will still be counted because Marketplace savings are based on expected income for all tax household members, not just the ones who need insurance.
      • You'll do the same: When you fill out your own separate application, state that your parents and the other members of their tax household don't need health coverage. But you'll include their income on your application.
      • The cost of both your plan and your parent's plan may be reduced with a premium tax credit and extra savings based on the whole household's income, not just yours.
      • When you move to or from the place you live and go to school, you may be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period allowing you to enroll outside the yearly Open Enrollment Period.

If you’re a dependent 26 or over

  • You have the same options as above. But if you apply with your parents, you may be required to choose a separate plan because you're 26 or older.

If no one claims you as a dependent

  • And you live separately from your parents (whether in the same state or a different one): You should fill out your own separate application. Your savings will be based on only your income, not your parent's.
  • And you live with your parents: You should apply on your own separate application. But if you're under 21, you may need to provide information about your parents and their income to complete the application.
When asked if you have health coverage, answer "No." Choose "No" even if you have student health coverage and plan to drop it when you enroll in a Marketplace plan.