Lose your health insurance? You may be able to enroll now

Published on July 14, 2016

If you recently lost health insurance coverage, you may be able to enroll in Marketplace coverage with a
Special Enrollment Period
Image: {Woman lost coverage and shops for new plans }

Health insurance losses that may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period

  • Loss of job-based insurance: You may qualify if your employer stopped offering health insurance, or you left a job where you had health coverage (even if you left by choice or were fired).
  • Loss of individual health plan: You may qualify if you’re no longer eligible for a student health plan, or your Marketplace plan is discontinued
  • Loss of eligibility for Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP): You may qualify if you lose your eligibility because your income changed, making you ineligible for Medicaid, or if your child ages off CHIP.
  • Loss of eligibility for Medicare: You may qualify if you become ineligible for premium-free Medicare Part A.
  • Loss of coverage through a family member’s plan: You may qualify if you turn 26 and can no longer be on a parent’s plan, or lose health coverage through a spouse due to a divorce, legal separation, or through the death of a family member.

See if you qualify for Special Enrollment Period

Answer a few questions to find out if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. We’ll also tell you if you may qualify for Medicaid or CHIP, which you can enroll in any time.