In few cases, you may still be able to get or change insurance plans for the rest of 2015. To qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, you must have a life change like having a baby, getting married, or losing health coverage.
Any 2015 plan you enroll in with a Special Enrollment Period ends December 31, 2015, no matter when it starts.
Ready to apply for a Special Enrollment Period?
Life changes that qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period
- Having a baby, adopting a child, or placing a child in foster care. You have up to 60 days after the event to enroll in 2015 coverage. If you enroll within the 60-day period, the new coverage starts on the day of the birth, adoption, or placement in 2015. This is true even if you enroll in the 2015 coverage during 2016 – for example, if you have a baby December 10, 2015 and don’t enroll in a 2015 plan until January 20, 2016. The coverage would apply to covered medical services from December 10 through December 31, 2015.
- Marriage. If you get married on or before November 30, 2015, you can enroll in an insurance plan that starts December 1, 2015. You must select the plan on or before November 30, 2015. If you get married December 1 or later, just fill out an application for 2016 coverage. Your insurance can start January 1, 2016.
- Losing other health coverage. If you leave a job or otherwise lose coverage on or before November 30, 2015, you can enroll in an insurance plan that starts December 1, 2015. You must select the plan on or before November 30, 2015. If you lose coverage December 1 or later, just fill out an application for 2016 coverage. Your insurance can start January 1, 2016.
The same rules apply if you lose other kinds of minimum essential coverage, like losing Medicaid coverage due to an income change, aging off a parent's plan, or COBRA coverage ending.
- Other life changes that can qualify you for a 2015 Special Enrollment Period.
- Moving to a new state
- Changes in your income that affect the coverage you qualify for
- Gaining membership in a federally recognized tribe or status as an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder
- Becoming a U.S. citizen
- Leaving incarceration
- Change of dependency status of someone on your plan
- Death of a covered member of your household
- Turning 26 and aging off your parent's plan
- AmeriCorps VISTA members starting or ending their service
Learn more about Special Enrollment Periods for complex issues.
Take action to get or change 2015 coverage
New to the Marketplace and need 2015 coverage?
- Select the START A NEW 2015 APPLICATION button below. You'll choose your state, and continue to create an account. When you start an application be sure it's a 2015 application.
- Before you apply: You can preview 2015 plans and price estimates based on your income. The information applies only to 2015 coverage you can get with an SEP.
START A NEW 2015 APPLICATION
Have a 2015 Marketplace plan and want to change it?
- Log in and update your 2015 application with information about your life change. (If you see a 2016 application, don't use it.)
LOG IN TO UPDATE YOUR 2015 APPLICATION
If you don’t qualify for a 2015 Special Enrollment Period
You can get or change a health insurance plan for 2016. Enroll by December 15, 2015 and coverage can start January 1, 2016.
The deadline to enroll in 2016 coverage is January 31, 2016. If you don’t enroll by then, the only way you can get 2016 health insurance is if you qualify for a 2016 Special Enrollment Period.