Jaime's story: Life without health insurance
Published on August 8, 2013
Have you met Jaime?
Jaime’s a 27-year-old college graduate who hasn’t been to the doctor since her 11th grade physical. She makes less than $20,000 a year. Like millions of Americans, Jaime does not have health insurance.
Sometimes you need more than a good night's sleep
Jaime shared her story with us:
"Every time I get sick, I get you know... If it can't be fixed with Advil, NyQuil and a good night's sleep I don't really have a solution for it.Between all of the obligations I already have like utilities and rent and student loan payments, within my budget, there's no way I can afford health care.If something bad happened to me... if I were in an accident or if I developed some kind of serious illness, there's no possible way I could afford it."
How the Marketplace helps people like Jaime
Jaime is looking forward to the peace of mind, safety, and stability that Marketplace coverage will provide.
- In the Health Insurance Marketplace®, all plans will cover a set of 10 essential benefits including access to 22 preventive health services for women.
- Jaime won't be denied coverage for a pre-existing condition or charged more because she’s a woman.
- She may be able to get lower costs on a wide range of Marketplace health plans or she can purchase a "catastrophic" health plan available to people under 30.
Share your story
Find out how health care is changing - in 214 words. And tell us why health insurance is important to you. Are you looking forward to getting covered in 2014?
- Share your thoughts in a Tweet using the hashtag #214words
- Leave us a comment on Facebook in 14 words or less
Help us spread the word! Open enrollment begins on October 1, 2013. Coverage starts as soon as January 1, 2014.