July 02, 2020
Moving may impact your health coverage
Summer is a popular time for moving. Depending on whether you move to a different state, your move may impact your current health plan.
Moving to a different state
- When you move to a new state, you can’t keep your current plan.
- Report your out of state move to the Marketplace ASAP. This way, you can enroll in a new plan without a break in coverage, and you won’t pay for coverage that doesn’t apply in your new state.
- When you move out of state, you’ll need to start a new Marketplace application and enroll in a plan in your new state.
- Where to apply depends on whether your new state uses HealthCare.gov or its own website. Choose your new state to get started.
Moving within the same state
- Your coverage options and savings probably won’t change based on your new address.
- You should still update your address on your application just in case new savings and plans are available to you.
- See how to update your address online.
Learn more about reporting a move to the Marketplace.