What documents to submit to confirm your Special Enrollment Period

Published on August 17, 2017

If you applied for Marketplace coverage through a 
Special Enrollment Period
, you may need to submit documents to confirm you qualify. After you pick a plan, you have 30 days to send the documents.
Image: {Send Special Enrollment Period documents}Image: {Send Special Enrollment Period documents}
Find your life event on the list below to see what kinds of documents you can submit:

What documents can I submit?

  • If you moved: Documents must include your name and the date you moved. Examples include: bills, mortgage or rental documents, or a letter from an insurance company. In most cases, you also need to prove you had qualifying coverage for at least one of the 60 days before you moved. See the full list.
  • If you lost other health coverage: Documents must include your name and the date of your coverage loss. Examples include: a letter from your insurance company or employer, a health care program document, or pay stubs. See the full list.
  • If you adopted a child or gained a dependent through a foster care placement or court order: Documents must include the name of the person who became a dependent and effective date. Examples include: an adoption letter or record, foster care papers, or a document for legal guardianship. See the full list.
  • If you got married: Documents must include the names of the married couple and the date of the marriage. Examples include: a marriage certificate, marriage license, or marriage affidavit. See the full list.
  • If you were denied Medicaid or CHIP: Documents must include your name and the date you were denied coverage. Examples include: a denial letter from your state agency, a letter from the Marketplace, or a screenshot of your eligibility results. See the full list.

Ready to submit?