Recently lose health coverage? Enroll in Marketplace coverage today
Published on June 21, 2018
You may qualify for a
Coverage losses that make you eligible
If you lost or will lose coverage from any of these sources, you may be eligible to apply through a Special Enrollment Period:
- Your job
- Individual health coverage for a plan or policy you bought yourself
- Medicaid or the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Coverage through a family member’s plan
Note: If you voluntarily dropped your coverage, you won’t qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.
How to apply with a Special Enrollment Period
Pick a plan and then submit documents to the Marketplace showing the lost coverage and the date it ends. You have 60 days after the date your coverage ended to pick a plan (or 60 days before the date your coverage will end if you’ll lose coverage in the future). You must submit your documents within 30 days of picking a plan.
- If you’re new to HealthCare.gov, create an account to fill out an application, pick a plan, and submit your documents.
- If you already have an account, log in to update your existing application, pick a plan, and submit documents.